What a pita. This is a great scanner (for 35mm photos even, which is why I am trying to get it going again).
It’s always been hard to get it going since Windows 7 on.
I haven’t tried this yet, because I have to walk downstairs and unplug the scanner (what a lazy bum)
Anyway I want to squirrel this hint away so I don’t lose it.
It’s from http://www.gollyjer.com/2010/12/installing-epson-perfection-2450.html by the way.
Installing an Epson Perfection 2450 Scanner on 64 bit Windows 7
It was a major ordeal figuring out how to get this scanner, purchased in 2002, working in 64 bit Windows 7. It’s crazy, the thing is still available on Amazon after 8 years. It’s actually ranked #4 in Electronics > Camera & Photo > Printers & Scanners > Flatbed.
Epson provides a 32-bit driver on their site but not 64-bit. I’ve solved this problem before but it was a massive Google hunt. Next time I’ll have this blog post to look to!
The solution is pretty simple.
- Unplug the scanner from the computer.
- Go to the driver page for the Epson 4990, download, unzip, and install the driver by clicking the default selection in each dialog box presented.
- Plug the 2450 into the computer. Windows will not find the driver.
- Click the Windows start button, type ‘device manager’ in the search bar, then click Device Manager.
- Right click the EPSON Scanner device and select Update Driver Software.
- Click ‘Browse my computer for driver software’.
- Click ‘Let me pick from a list of devices on my computer’.
- Select ‘Imaging Devices’ and click Next.
- Choose Epson in the Manufacturer column and EPSON Perfection 4990 in the Model column.
- Click Next, then Yes, let the software install, then Close.
Done! The scanner should now show up under Imaging Devices.
Su Changs was no longer taking orders so we went back to Jades. They go by last four digits of phone number. They are always backed up and it’s usually an hour after they say when it is ready. We went walking in at 8PM when it was supposed to be ready and they were just brining out the bag with our phone number. SCORE. Got home and it was the wrong stuff, but it’s Chinese food right? Everything is good. So we ate. After we were done we got a phone call from Jades. They had two orders with the same last 4 digits of the phone number. The odds are a lot more than 2 in 10000. Add in all the Chinese restaurants and the odds that both families were going for Chinese food. Wow – a memorable New Year’s Eve. Also watched Taken 3 and Liam is BACK!!
Haha – happy new year all.
Dirty scale, but still…